Sunday 27 July 2008

Lucky?

The frog is supposed to be a sign of good luck in Japan and the ones I make for the showroom sell well whether they are attached to a vase, lamp or water feature as in this shot or just on their own. Here I took a picture of the rain that I managed to miss when taking the dogs in the morning a bit lucky there then.
And here we have some evidence of very noisy neighbours, but I am not to complain as they are supposed to bring you good luck!


Brilliant hand builders aren't they, come to think of it that should be beak builders shouldn't it.



I'm not sure if there are 2 or 3 in here but they are the second clutch of Swallows in this nest this year, they get up at about 4am at the moment and the nest is about 5 ft from my bed! (Just the other side of the wall, very lucky aren't I.)




In this photo you can't see that it is hooching with wood ants they are moving too fast for the camera but they reminded me of when I was told on Saturday how lucky I was to have the pottery set up how and where it is, I always think when someone says that of what Richard Branson said when he was interviewed one time, "Yes I suppose I am lucky but I've always found that the harder I work the luckier I become".





Never mind waxing lyrical about philosophy Alan get back to the pots, here's some waxing bases.

Using a dry chuck here Paul.

Took the dogs for a cool dip in the evening and it was really great, there I am lucky see.



3 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I was the studio assistant for Adrian Arleo this past January for her sculpture workshop and she did a demo of a surface treatment she uses quite a bit. She got the idea from watching the swallows building these nests over her studio door. Her texturing looked just like their nests and was the most tedious and time consuming texturing I have ever seen. Really beautiful though

Paul Jessop said...

Strangley enough when I wax my bottoms I just sit them in my lap, just something i've always done. Thanks Alan.

Alan from Argyll Pottery said...

I do think that Swallows are amzing birds so graceful and hard working both at the same time but Paul I'm all confused (Maybe it's because I'm just back from the pub?)- how can you sit down and wax your bottom in your lap both at the same time?!? (Sorry ts' it's a sort of long running joke with Paul. Thank you for your comments though they are much appreciated).